March 23, 2010

Marchtastic

That’s the word I’ve coined to describe this month so far. Lately I’ve been busy getting all caught up in my new life over here and haven’t had the time or patience to sit down and write in my blog! But I wanted to give an update so that you know how everything is going.

I did get sick about a week after arriving in Seoul (as did all the other new teachers), but this past weekend I was finally feeling well enough to get out and enjoy the weekend. I had a great time hanging out with an old friend from the U.S. and a bunch of new friends. I did some more exploring, went to a basketball game, watched a movie at the theater, went to church, joined a small group and participated in a bible study. Pretty much a fabulous weekend as far as I’m concerned! The church I’m going to here is called Jubilee. So far I’ve found the teaching to be very sound and biblical. The church is also growing and has a heart for service and outreach. I basically felt right at home the moment I got here.


I’m still experiencing a steep learning curve when it comes to teaching, but at the same time I think I’m starting to find my groove. This past week I turned in complete lesson plans for the month of April for both my kindergarten and elementary classes. It felt great to have that out of the way! Friday my elementary students are taking a monthly test. I’m a little nervous about it as I’m not sure I’ve prepared them adequately! Well I will definitely be doing some reviewing with them to make sure! Today was a nice break from the norm as the entire school went out on a field trip to the War Memorial Museum. I got to spend the day playing with my kids and having good old fun instead of coercing them to do school work!

Here’s a picture of my kinder gang on St. Patty’s Day:
Leprechauns

Also, I recently discovered that I can access the roof of my apartment! It’s got a pretty nice view and it seems like a great area to relax and get some sun once the weather starts warming up.

Here’s the view from the top:
IMG_1349

Last but not least, I finally tracked down some mayonnaise and ketchup, in bagged up bottles nonetheless.
I thought they looked kinda funny!
IMG_1370

I haven’t really sat down and started studying Korean yet because I’ve been focused on just getting settled first. Soon, however, I hope to get serious about learning the language! Some things I’ve learned so far are: yogui (here) chogui (there) chodo (me too) mashisoyo (delicious) and eulma inminka (how much). Much much more remains to be mastered!

Well that just about sums it up for now. I really don’t have too much to share except to say that all is going great and I’m loving it! I miss all my friends and family back home and I do hope to hear from you guys when you get the chance.

2 comments:

  1. you teach the cutest people on the planet! keep shining! :) i'm sending big love from thai.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you Heather :) and I am glad that you seem to be doing well!

    ReplyDelete