May 14, 2010

Mayday - Get off the Treadmill and Walk!

IMG_1679 Picture from Insadong in central Seoul

I look back on the past month and it's all one big, hectic blur. Ever since my health returned, I've been trying to get caught up and on top of things in my life that were neglected while I was sick. This involved everything from cleaning and shopping to paying bills and writing emails.

In addition to that, my job has been very involving. I work pretty long hours everyday and many times go in early and come home late. I teach all day long with limited breaks and also have to grade all the work my students do pretty much on the spot. It can pile up quickly and set me back hours if I don't do it right away. We are also expected to do lesson planning a month in advance, make tests, complete progress reports, write notes to the parents, prepare crafts and just do pretty much everything under the sun. Aside from my official duties, there is also the fact that I am interacting with 11 different little people in close quarters for hours on end and that can be a bit stressful for everyone. All it takes is one kid to start crying or throwing a fit and the whole class gets off track. I pretty much come home every day feeling a bit shell shocked, numb and drained physically and emotionally. Wake up the next day and repeat the process.

It is a little overwhelming when I stop for a minute and realized that I've signed up for a whole year of this stuff! Sometimes I wonder how I will endure to the end. But I'm quickly approaching the three month mark which means I'm nearly a quarter of the way done. And with the rate at which my days are flying by, I'm sure time will move more quickly than I think. Still, I'm finding it to be necessary for my sanity that I do whatever is possible to slow things down. I've been telling myself lately “Don't let yourself be the rat in the cage running on the wheel – find a way to get off and take it easy!”

So that has been my goal recently, to find a way to slow things down. I'm still getting that one figured out and I'm not quite there yet! I am sorry that this update was a long time in coming. Every time I sat down to write I couldn't get my thoughts straight. But today is Friday and I'm through with a super busy, stressful week. I can feel my anxiety level going way low and I've come out of performance mode. It is so great to be able to relax!! I was able to purchase a guitar a few weeks ago so I'm definitely enjoying playing some during my sparse down time. I really wish I could share more pictures with everyone, so for those of you who don't have facebook, I will share some links here to various photo albums of my time in Korea so far. I hope you can check them out if you have some time!

On a different note than teaching, I've really been enjoying getting to know Jonathan (my boyfriend) better over the past several months. We have a great time talking on Skype during times where both our scheduled free time intersects. He has definitely been a blessing and source of encouragement to me since I've been here. We only wish we were able to spend some time together in person!! (He is currently studying in the Netherlands). But we are thankful for Skype and email of course.

Alright friends, there's a wrap up of my life right now. Thanks for reading! Here are links to some photo albums. I hope you will have some time to look at a few! Just click on the name or picture and it will take you there.

IMG_2492
IMG_1290
IMG_1276

From a bus trip I took to Eastern Korea:          
IMG_2083
IMG_1880

That’s all for now.
Love from Korea,
Heather

1 comment:

  1. Heather,
    It is good to hear from you. I think of you often and Lori and I talk about you and wonder how you are doing so far from home. We pray for God to send you a friend to help you not be lonely in your new temporary home. I am so glad to hear that you are doing better and your health has returned. Your pictures are amazing and I can not help but be a little jealous. This was a good week. I finally crossed the finish line and graduated nursing school on Wednesday. I am happy to be done and excited to start a new season. No, God has not yet told me what is next....so I will wait. It is difficult to do as the world attempts to push in and guide my steps. I am determined however to let God do it. Press on my sweet sister. I know that the time may seem to go slow now, but soon you will look back and wonder where it went. Your time will be finished and you will find yourself thinking, do I really have to leave? I was just getting comfortable. Watch out for those words in your vocabulary...it is usually the time God is getting ready to move us on.
    I am so proud of you and your courage to step out in faith and let God do whatever he wants with you. You are a rare breed. So many say that they want to do that, but when the rubber meets the road they choose the easy path. You clearly have not done so. Be encouraged that others are watching and being inspired to do so as well. Utopia misses you! Until we meet again later, know that I love you and keep you in my prayers.
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete