June 07, 2014

Just over 3 years. Just over 3 weeks.

The amount of time since my last blog post. The amount of time since I’ve returned to Korea. I’ve decided it’s time.

For those of you back in the U.S. or Spain who would like to know how I’m getting along, this is for YOU! Thank you for your support, prayers, love, well wishes, and for checking up on me and staying in touch. The past few weeks and months have really been a whirlwind of activity, emotion and decision making. Packing up belongings. Downsizing. Saying goodbyes. Uprooting. Yes, again. Then moving, traveling, and adjusting to a new city and a new job. It has been a lot to take in. Not in a bad way, but I have needed time to get into a routine and let the dust settle a bit.

What can I say? It feels incredible to be back in Korea. I have caught myself walking with a grin on my face, looking around, taking it all in, almost in disbelief, and saying to myself, “You’re really here!” Time and time again I have been thanking the Lord for giving me this wonderful opportunity to return. My first experience in Korea had a profound impact on my life and definitely changed me for the better.

I am sure that the second time around will be no less of a challenging and growing experience. This time I am working a longer schedule (by choice) where I teach 10 to 11 classes per day. I teach kindergartners until around 2 o’clock and then from 3:00 - 6:40 PM or 7:25 PM (depending on the day), I will teach various elementary classes. I even have 3 classes spread out over the week where I teach a small secondary level class of 13-year-olds. Every week I’m teaching everything from phonics, reading, grammar, and writing to vocabulary, debate and even a social studies class!

These are busy times for me. The days are long and packed with few breaks or times to plan. As a result, the days have been flying by and I can’t believe I’ve already been teaching for 3 whole weeks! While I think I’ve gotten myself back into teacher-mode fairly quickly, I hope to not only regain the previous skills I had acquired in the classroom, but also build on them and grow professionally. I feel invigorated and excited by the challenge of having so many classes and students. I find it very motivating and enjoyable to have a direction in which to push and challenge myself. There is plenty, and I mean plenty, of room for me to grow as a teacher and it’s pretty much up to me to take the initiative to do so. Everyday I am motivated to do better and be better. It’s exciting!

I have taken an exorbitant amount of pictures since my arrival, so I am having difficulty deciding what to post. For now I’ll just post a couple of my favorite shots so far. If there are requests for pictures of anything in particular that sparks someone’s interest, just let me know. One of the things I love about exploring Seoul is that it’s virtually impossible to go wrong. You almost don’t even need a plan. Just venture out and you’re bound to stumble upon history, culture, hiking trails and ultra-modern architecture or some other exciting thing around nearly every corner.

By the way, Seoul is full of mountains and hiking is a popular, national past time, so I aim to do my fair share of hiking while in the country.

Enjoying the view atop Achasan Mt., the one nearest my apartment

IMG_9879

Achasan Ecological Park

IMG_9975

Overlooking part of the Dongdaemun Design Plaza in downtown, Seoul. It is very impressive and much larger than my camera can adequately capture.

IMG_9678

A stream runs through Guri City, making it’s way to the Han River

IMG_9581

Walking up the steps of a train station

IMG_0080

Dongnimmum Gate in Independence Park

IMG_0123

Panoramic view near the top of Ansan Mt. (Inwangsan Fortress in the left background. N Seoul tower in the right.)

IMG_0222

Until next time!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update. Enjoyed the pictures. That's great that the teaching is challenging you and that you enjoy rising to the challenge. This seems to be a good fit for you.

    ReplyDelete