March 24, 2009

Faith

So I'm entering a transition phase again and am trying to figure out what I should be doing with my life and in what direction I'm headed. I keep trying to find out ahead of time what's going to happen. When will I learn that I will never get to tell my own fortune? I need to spend more time obeying the revealed will of God in the Bible and less time trying to figure out how he is going to accomplish specific things in my life in the future. In the words of Oswald Chambers, "Faith never knows where it is being led, but it loves and knows the One Who is leading."

Why can't I just do that? Have faith. God is truly good. I have heard story upon story of God's incredible faithfulness in the lives of others who trusted him above all things. I have seen him work faithfully in my own life and the life of my family. I need to quit trying to push God around and just STOP and be STILL and know that He is GOD (not me). The God who was faithful to Abraham, Joseph, Ruth, David and Paul - that is my God! The God who has been faithful to Helen Roseveare, Corrie Ten Boom, Brother Andrew, and Arthur & Wilda Mathews - that is my God! How wavery and sickly is my faith. I need to whip it into shape! But even if my faith is no bigger than a mustard seed, God will still, always and forever, be faithful to me.

Selah.

And may I add that this statement from Eugene Peterson seems to be spot on: "The early stages of Christian belief are not infrequently marked with miraculous signs and exhilarations of spirit. But as discipleship continues the sensible comforts (those that depend on our physical senses) gradually disappear, for God does not want us neurotically dependent upon him, but willingly trustful in him. And so he weans us."

~H.M.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this. I've also found what Peterson said to be true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found myself in much the same position. You are a very dear sister in my heart and how I wish we could be in regular fellowship again! Thank you for your blogs!

    ReplyDelete