April 08, 2008

In between filing taxes and watching a documentary on the DRC

I've been trying to figure out how to file my taxes, because I've never done it before and of course the deadline is creeping up really fast. I wish I didn't leave so many things until the last minute. Thanks to some tips from Breanna and Phil I just might be able to figure it out! How exciting I know. I'm pretty sure it's not rocket science. But it feels like it at least for now.

Speaking of science, with every passing day I grow more and more certain of my desire/calling to nursing. It all seems pretty crazy to me, but really it's one of the few things I've ever wanted to do, so I'm all for pursuing it with all I have. I hope to have some kind of degree in nursing within 3 years from now. All I've got to do is figure out where to go to school and what prerequisites I need to have and all the while work to live and start loan payments. Sounds like a piece of cake, right? I'm tempted to let myself get overwhelmed by the future and its uncertainties and burdens but every day I hear the Lord bidding me to come and rest in Him. I can trust in His goodness and sovereignty, and mostly his unchangeable love.

With at least a vague shape formulating on the horizon of what the next few years might look like, I still have so many questions and confusion about some things. For instance, I am planning on staying in Blacksburg for at least another year, hoping to find a job, maybe take classes part-time at NRCC and become a certified nursing assistant (CNA). But what's next? I'm so grateful for the opportunity to return to Venezuela for nearly 3 months this summer. I am planning on making the most of it, as it is likely the last time that I will get to live there with my family. But back to Blacksburg, and living in the U.S. for that matter, I'm a missionary kid and I don't really think of anywhere as home. It constantly changes in my mind to the point where I just give up and stop trying to figure it out.

I'm feeling antsy about moving again and I feel as if in a year I will be ready to move on. Where to? Africa is the one place that constantly draws me and tugs at my heart strings. I can't even tell you how many different sites I've looked at on the internet related to either missions or volunteering in Africa. I know enough French that I'm pretty sure I could pick it up were I to go somewhere that they speak this language. I had been really thinking about doing things with the Peace Corps, but that sort of evaporated. But that's fine, because I didn't feel like I had anything very helpful to offer. However, if I am able to become a nurse, then I'll feel better equipped to help and be of use.

But I can't leave the U.S. yet if I am planning on studying nursing!! Hopefully next summer I can take a trip to Africa and do SOMETHING! Maybe visit my friend Liz in the DRC and help with the work she'll be doing. I'd be content to go anywhere in Africa and be put to work! There are so many orphanages that desperately need volunteers.

I also feel that I am at such a weird place in life right now. I'm 22 years old and about to graduate with a 4 yr degree from a University. The world is spiraling around me as the days become more packed with activities and demands and responsibilities. I'm living in America, and personally I still think it's pretty weird. It only seems like a half reality, as my inner imaginings live all around the world but mostly back in Venezuela. So many people have come in and out of my life and I know that will just keep happening. I sometimes wonder how you can even try to keep in touch with all of them, and if you decide to just stay in touch with some, how do you choose which ones? This I haven't quite figured out yet.

Well I'll have to get back to filing my taxes. I think I may be getting the hang of it and surely they can't be too difficult, but somehow by dragging it out it seems a little less painful.

No comments:

Post a Comment