October 28, 2009

Irony should be my middle name

Irony should be my middle name. It's true.

First off, teaching with EPIK (public schools in Korea) is a definite no-go. The matter got really complicated because I didn't study highschool in the U.S. They do not want to deal with the trouble and paperwork of verifying that the schools I attended were accredited, American international schools. So, short of fudging my papers and pretending I went to school in the U.S., this door is forever and permanently closed.

The worst of it is, I was just informed last night. The people processing my paperwork knew from the beginning about my schooling. It was brought up over the phone but they didn't mention their being any problem about it. Three weeks later I've wasted my time and those of the people who wrote recommendation letters for me only to find out it was all for naught. So I'm back at square zero in my ESL job hunt for the moment.

Secondly, I have been looking for a part-time job to keep me busy from now until I go overseas to teach ESL (assuming I ever find a position). Just a couple days ago a secretary position opened up and the job was pretty much mine if I said "yes." So not about to let a chance go by, I said "sure, great!". I've already spent some time at the office learning the ropes. Next day I get two job offers teaching ESL in the DC area. That, my friends, is the irony. Teaching ESL would be exactly the kind of practice I need. But I've already accepted the job as a secretary and I'll be moving down to Hopewell, VA shortly and leaving Burke.

Still, inspite of apparent ironies, I know there is a greater force at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment